Monday 16 May 2011

I can't live on $2 per day. And this is why you should donate.

I want to make one thing clear about my Live Strong Below the Line challenge. I am not saying living below the poverty line is easy.

My experiment (living on $2 per day of food) is rigged

I am really living on at least $5 per day.

Let's think about what I'm not counting:

- electricity (5 KwH = ~$1)
- water (~$1)
- internet ($0.50)
- sanitation (toothpaste, soap $0.50)

And that's not counting infrastructure. The paved road I ride my bike down. The house I live in rent free. So many other things I can't even think of.

I repeat. This experiment is rigged.

And for good reason. I couldn't live on $2 per day. There is no way I could do it. And I don't want to try.

What I am saying: it doesn't take much more than $2
$2 per day is a miserable existence. But based on my experiences so far, I think I could live quite comfortably on $5 per day.

The reason I'm asking you to donate to Live Below the Line is because it only takes a little bit to make a big difference. Poverty seems massive and immense when you think about 1.4 billion people living on this little. But it seems pretty small and winnable when you think all it takes is to help someone go from living on $2 per day to $5 per day.

Think about how you live right now. Could you give up something to help end extreme poverty? How much of your income do you donate to charity?

Personally my figure is 10%. Doesn't matter how little or how big my pay cheque is, that 10% gets sent away.

This week will you donate 10% of what you earned to Live Below the Line?

No comments: