Saturday 17 July 2010

An epiphany: individuals are powerless

I've been having a lot of epiphanies lately. For the first time in my life, I've stepped back and truly questioned everything about myself. What kind of person am I? What kind of person do I want to be? Where do I want to go? What do I want to do?

And you know what I've come to realise? All those 'I's don't matter a lot. If I want to have a fulfilling life, if I want to achieve anything, it's not going to be under my own power. To a large extent, it is the people I bring into my life that will make me happy and who will help me bring about the change I want to see in the world.

The phrase "alone we are powerless, but united we are strong" (or variants thereof) gets bandied around a lot, and I've always accepted it as a truism, but until now I have never felt it.

Now I see that while self improvement is an admirable goal, it takes others to truly lift one up to the heights of limitless potential. Synergy may be a horrid management buzzword, but it makes sense! By helping others, we help ourselves more than we could imagine.

No comments: