Wednesday 3 March 2010

Tuesday night at the track

Forced myself to ignore my leaden legs after the ride home and ran the 5k to the Waverley Athletics track yesterday evening. Once I'd arrived, feeling a fair bit better after the warmup, I was greeted with the news that the session was 5x1500m in 5:00. Recovery = 500m at 4:00/k. Eep!

I did the first rep with Tim, a 100m runner making the jump up to 800m. Felt surprisingly good coming in around 5:05-5:10, not puffing at all. Did the next one with James Atkinson, a 30-32 minute 10k runner (top 40-45 veteran in the state). He dropped me with 300 m to go, but I was amazed to even be able to stay with him for that long. Finished the rep in just under 5:00 I reckon, making it close to a PB for me! Naturally I was pretty stuffed after that, and barely managed to hold it together for the next rep (5:20 maybe?). For the last two, all I could manage was jumping in after James had already done a lap, and still got dropped horribly:P Still, it was a fantastic workout and just what I need. 18k all up with the run home and boy was I sore afterwards!

Tan Time trial 8k on Sat. Hoping to break 29.

No comments: